Susan Gartell and Timothy O'Donnell. Photo Nathaniel Davauer
International Choreographic Competition
February 16-19, 2017
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Genesis, Milwaukee Ballet’s international choreographic competition, returns to the historic Pabst Theater, February 16-19, 2017. Three talented choreographers from around the world, hand-picked by Artistic Director Michael Pink, will showcase original works to vie for the judges' and audiences' vote.
THREE CHOREOGRAPHERS will be chosen to create a twenty-minute piece using eight dancers within a maximum of 90 hours of rehearsal time individually.
Transportation to Milwaukee, hotel lodging, and a daily per diem will be provided.
1st PRIZE: $3,000, Plus commission to create a new piece for Milwaukee Ballet at a mutually agreeable time.
2nd PRIZE: $2,000
3rd PRIZE: $1,000
AUDIENCE FAVORITE: $500
• Must currently work with a professional dance company.
• All competition works must be new creations.
• Music must be pre-recorded and from the public domain, or used with the composer’s permission without fees.
• Works can be augmented with simply-constructed costumes from Milwaukee Ballet’s existing stock of contemporary and classical wardrobes.
• Works can be used by Milwaukee Ballet Company or the Nancy Einhorn Milwaukee Ballet II Program for three years without royalty payments.
• The works will be restaged by Milwaukee Ballet's artistic staff. The choreographer will be notified of such use.
• Choreographers must submit two excerpts of previous work no more than three years old and not to exceed ten minutes on a DVD or link (YouTube or Vimeo).
• A written proposal and biography in English, as well as a headshot, must accompany the entry.
• Submitted DVDs will not be returned.
ENTRIES DUE: October 31, 2016 | Notification: January 2017
SUBMIT ENTRIES TO:
504 W. National Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53204 USA
No phone calls or emails please.
Learn more about Milwaukee Ballet here.
Learn more about Artistic Director Michael Pink here.
Mortal Form by Garrett Smith
Since winning, Smith has created new work for New York City Ballet, Odyssey Dance Theater and SALT Conetmporary Dance/
Manifold by Gabrielle Lamb, United States
Since winning, Lamb has presented works at BalletX, Ballet Austin, Mystic Ballet and SUNY Purchase Conservatory.
Something I Had in Mind by Mauro de Candia, Italy
Since winning, de Candia was appointed the artistic director of Dance Company Theater Osnabrück in Germany.
The Games We Play by Timothy O'Donnell, Australia
Since winning, O'Donnell became choreographer-in-residence for Milwaukee Ballet, where he has premiered five new works.
O Clemens by Nelly Van Bommel, France
Since winning, Van Bommel started NØA Dance Company.
Night Falls Fast by John Utans, Australia
Choreographer, performer, installation artist and teacher, he has worked with leading international artists within dance companies, independent projects and tertiary dance institutions.