The DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR will lead strategic development and fundraising efforts for this internationally-renowned ballet company and cornerstone Milwaukee arts organization.
The Development Director will bring energy and creativity to cultivate, grow, and maintain fundraising and donor relationships as well as inspire, manage and motivate the staff that de-livers all fundraising activities. In this senior leadership position, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with the Marketing, School, and Community Outreach departments, man-agement, and the Board of Directors to ensure Milwaukee Ballet’s brand and reputation are leveraged for optimum donor development.
The Development Director will:
- Develop and execute a strategic development plan and budget that supports the vision and mission of the company and builds the ballet’s family of support.
- Manage and implement annual and long-term fundraising programs, including major gifts, board gifts, corporate sponsorship, grant proposals, special events, performance sponsorship, participation in UPAF, and capital campaigns.
- Nurture and build donor relationships by directly soliciting and acknowledging donors and capitalizing, as appropriate, on the dynamism and popularity of Milwaukee Ballet's long-serving Artistic Director.
- Research and identify prospects within the community and existing constituent base and set strategy to cultivate and increase the donor base.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and the Development Committee in creating and reporting funding strategies and budgets to meet annual and long-term goals.
- Manage, mentor and motivate the Development staff and ensure appropriate sys-tems are in place to support goals.
- Collaborate and support fundraising efforts across departments, including the School, Community Outreach, and Artistic Departments.
- Work closely with the Marketing Department to ensure consistency of brand and messaging and to maximize customer relationship opportunities.
- Act as ambassador for Milwaukee Ballet and maintain a presence at performances and events.
• Experience – 10 + years of progressively responsible professional experience in non-profit fundraising, development, marketing, sales, and/or business management.
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to work on a strategic level and develop and exe-cute a departmental plan.
• Knowledge of the community and proven experience identifying, soliciting, and cultivat-ing donors, including foundations and or corporations for support.
• Confident communication skills and an ability to work effectively with various constitu-encies, including a Board of Directors, management, staff, donors, and volunteers.
• Strong writing, editorial, and messaging skills. Experience in crafting proposals, donor correspondence and compelling campaigns is a plus.
• Demonstrated skill and experience in budget preparation.
• Ability to support executive management and Board on prospects including research, preparation and strategy around major gift solicitation.
• Creative approach to planning and problem solving including the ability to implement new ideas and approaches.
• Experience managing major campaigns a plus.
• Proficiency in donor-management software; experience with software conversion or im-plementation a plus.
• Enthusiasm to embrace the mission and programs of Milwaukee Ballet and the capacity to articulate that commitment effectively in the community.
• Education – Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree a plus.
Commensurate with experience
Milwaukee Ballet inspires its audiences to think within and beyond traditional ballet through the presentation of quality performances, educational and community outreach opportunities. Now, in its 46th Season, Milwaukee Ballet is recognized among the top ballet companies in the nation. With an annual operating budget of more than $6 million, Milwaukee Ballet presents more than 35 performances to more than 47,000 people each year. Its resident company includes 25 professional dancers along with 18 trainees in its Nancy Einhorn Milwaukee Ballet II program and it is one of the few dance companies in the country to maintain its own symphony orchestra. The Milwaukee Ballet School and Academy, the official school of the Milwaukee Ballet, is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD) with an enrollment of nearly 600 students at three locations throughout Southeastern Wisconsin.
Interested candidates please forward resume and cover letter to:
Mr. Shawn Selk, Business Manager
Milwaukee Ballet Company, Inc.
No phone calls, please.